Facebook has been making many inroads into education over the last few years. Many institutions are using Facebook sites to publicize events on campus, as well as to aid in their recruiting.
As well, many students, instructors and administrators are using a number of Facebook applications for a wide variety of academic purposes.
Recently we’ve been examining a number of Facebook apps that are relevant for educational use. We’ve assembled a small list of 20 facebook apps here and are happy to have others add additional apps to the list that you’ve found helpful.
- Books iRead: Share the books you’re reading, and see what others think of books with this application.
- Flashcards: With this application, you can create flash cards to help you study on Facebook.
- SkoolPool: Get the lowdown on schools, online and otherwise, with this neat application.
- Rate My Professors: Find out what other students think of professors before you register for their class.
- BookTag: This app offers a great way to share and loan books out to students, plus create helpful quizzes for studying.
- DoResearch4me: This app makes it easy to gather information using your thesis statement, instructions, and more.
- Mathematical Formulas: Distribute formulas, solutions, and more with this application.
- SlideShare: Create presentations to send to students with this slideshow application.
- Calendar: This calendar app from 30 Boxes lets you organize your days, set reminders and share your calendar with others.
- To-Do List: Stay on top of your tasks with this Facebook to-do application.
- Zoho Online Office: You can keep all of your documents online, and even share them with classmates, students, and colleagues.
- UdutuTeach: UdutuTeach allows you to import courses from myUdutu (a course authoring tool) manage which people can take your courses, and track the learners’ progress.
- UdutuLearn:UdutuLearn lets you view courses that you have been given access to and shows your progress.
- Files: Powered by Box.net, this application makes it easy to store and retrieve documents in Facebook, so you can access them anywhere you have a connection.
- WorldCat: Use WorldCat to do research, catalog your library’s collection, and share information with students.
- HeyMath!: These mini-movies explain difficult math concepts, so these are great to share with students or use on your own.
- Study Groups: Get everyone together on your group project by collaborating with this application.
If you have other suggestions feel free to add them to the list.
TOPYX social LMS is a revolutionary eLearning solution that incorporates Facebook and other social networking resources right into the learning platform to enhance the learner’s experience (social LMS). It’s like having your very own, secure, branded Facebook focused on creating a collaborative environment around learning materials. Through TOPYX, students can gain access to the tools and resources that they are asking for. It’s time to learn more about what TOPYX can do for your classroom and distance learning programs!