Social media types are being created, identified and defined constantly. With the exception of crowdsourcing, all other social media types can be used in social learning. Many of these are new, rather than repeats from a previous post.
Please be aware that this blog is not responsible for any communication/collaboration/image/video or any other item that is seen, read, viewed or heard or in any other manner, as a result of clicking on these links, which go to sites outside of this blog.
Social Media type is listed first followed by an example of that media type:
- Social Bookmarking – Delicious – spelled often as del.icio.us Wists – social shopping with image bookmarking and creation of lists – ditch the shopping part, keep the image bookmarking and creating of lists, Yoono
- Social Learning Management System (LMS) - TOPYX
- Social Network Aggregator – Netvibes
- Vlogging (Video blogging) – Blip.tv
- Geolocating - foursquare
- Virtual Worlds/Reality – Second Life
- Crowdsourcing – Chaordix
- Photo/Image sharing – Flickr
- Livecasting – USTREAM
- Blogs - WordPress, Blogger
- Social Discovery – Stumble Upon (Wikipedia likes to stick this into social bookmarking, however IMO it does more than that)
- Events – Meetup
- Wikis – Wikipedia
- Social Professional Networks - LinkedIn
- Media Sharing (Video, Audio, Application) – (Video – YouTube, Audio- Last.fm, Application – P2P)
- Social Networking – Facebook , Twitter
- Product & Blogging & Niche Communities (Amazon.com – Product; LiveJournal – Blogging, Nibbledish – Niche)
- Social News Aggregator – Digg
- RSS Reader – Google Reader Bloglines
- Reviews & Recommendations – Yelp or Epinions (the granddaddy)
- Social Q&A -Answers.com
- Presentation Sharing – SlideShare
- Social Measuring – Technorati
- Open Source/Mashups- APIs, open source – while open source and APIs are not social media, they will enable multi-faceted social media features and capabilities. Hence, I placed it in here, because it can cross into so many areas, and do so many things. Actually, in some circles, mashups are considered a form of social media.
- Yet to be Defined – Squidoo Diigo
by Craig Weiss, E-Learning 24/7 (elearninfo247.com/)
** Guest Blogger **
To see the social LMS, TOPYX, in action – request a LMS demonstration of TOPYX.