When told they need to sit through another HR-mandated compliance training session, most employees’ eyes will visibly glaze over. It’s true that this type of mandatory training – whether it deals with safety, sensitivity, ethics or diversity – is usually only slightly more exciting than a snail race. Some employees may even see it as an opportunity to grab a quick nap. But it doesn’t have to be this way.
Regardless of how dry the subject matter, there is a lot that can be done to enhance the presentation and delivery of the material. Advances in both hardware and software technology has made it possible to create engaging programs, even on a shoestring. And the new Learning Management Systems (LMS) that are available now make delivery of these lessons easier than ever. Here are some creative ways to keep learners interested in your compliance training.
- Think about the quality of your e-learning presentation. Video lessons are all over the place these days, and your audience can easily spot a low-budget production. Take the time to set up a decent environment, with adequate lighting, sound and props. And never underestimate the value of rehearsing the script. The better your production, the more likely your audience will watch it.
- Mix in humor and entertaining stories. Try to find examples of mistakes or actions that memorably illustrate the point of your training. Try to mix in the components of a good story; a plot, a struggle, a hero, maybe a villain. Anecdotes and crazy stories not only hold the attention of your learners, they actually may enable the lesson to be retained for longer than a walk to the break room.
- Leave the clichés and over-used phrases at the door. Strive to invent creative ways of getting the message across, rather than relying on the same old concepts. Use animation, music, games and interactive exercises to hold their attention. Just be sure to respect the importance of the lesson you are delivering.
- Make it interesting and relevant to your learners. Chances are that they have seen very similar compliance training before, and are already prepared to think the worst. If you can immediately grab their interest and make it relevant to them, their preconceptions might just fade away.
- Finally, put some thought into how you will distribute this training. We’ve mentioned the new LMS platforms and how they can help make training delivery easier. They can also make it more engaging than ever before. Most learners today are active on social media platforms, so a Social LMS can make learning a compliance lesson seem less tedious and more… well, fun.
Many of these suggestions simply call for a new way of looking at training design. But also remember that you are competing with advanced social media platforms for your audience’s attention. If you can deliver training that looks and feels like the social interaction that your learners are used to, half of the battle may already be won. Some social media platforms like the award-winning TOPYX® social LMS, are tailor-made for delivering a more engaging solution.
The designers of TOPYX have created an environment that is both robust and flexible. The training that you deliver via TOPYX has the polished appearance and feel of a social interaction that will hold your learners’ attention. To see how TOPYX can help your HR department, click here.
Vice President, Business Development